Re: 2.3 Proposed Features

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 20:47, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 14:50, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > If you want an API to be good for 5-10 years, you have to give some
> > time to settle before you freeze it.
>
> This makes sense, I guess I am just not convinced that the file selector
> API will be so complicated to require an extremely long freezing
> period.  We have seen a bunch of approaches taken before and there is
> plenty of inspiration to take from other APIs.  It should not nearly be
> as difficult to get right as some of the other GTK APIs.
>
> Of course, there is still the issue of who does the job...  But there
> seems to be enough interest towards a solution so hopefully the people
> who are complaining about the file selector situation (e.g. me :-)) can
> help out.
>
> Maybe I am just being optimisting, I don't know.
>
> > And while the feature list for GTK+-2.4 is certainly not set in stone
> > (except for the filesel), I do think it is worth taking the time to
> > try and resolve the GtkCombo situation ... it's not as big a problem
> > from a user's perspective as the filesel, there are pretty extensive
> > problems with it. (Like the exposed use of GtkList)
>
> Yeah, on the GtkCombo situation I agree too.  So how about a short
> release with just the new combo and the new file selector.  :-)

I think this makes some sense.  The fileselector is highly visible and
is in a large portion of past email and news.  Not fixing this as
something of a priority would seem a bit odd.

Is there some rule that says we can't have a short GTK+2.4 release but a
longer GTK+2.6 release?  I don't think so.  I realize that some people
say short releases aren't good but I tend to disagree here.

I think Ettore has a point.