Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 16:13, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 02:00:07PM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > Whoa.  They are just reorganizing the structure/code - they aren't
> > killing the whole project.  I imagine running "mozilla" from the command
> > line will keep on working - just with a more improved UI, and a greatly
> > reworked underlying structure.
>
> See http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html
>
> Mozilla.org's way forward is Phoenix/Firebird, not the current
> frontend.

Ya... Phoenix will *be* Mozilla.  Phoenix/Firebird is just the name for
the new browser.  Which will be derived, modified code.  But not a whole
new browser.

Just as further example, I can easily plug in Phoenix for Mozilla now
(and I do).

> > (Note: I agree with shipping Epiphany; just stating that Mozilla is
> > dead/dying is wrong.)
>
> Not according to the roadmap on mozilla.org ;-)

You might also check the branding document recently put up, it clears up
some common misconceptions about what exactly this switch is.

> I guess my terminology might be hosed; if "Mozilla" is the whole
> Mozilla.org project then no, it's not dead. But the app you currently
> get if you type "mozilla" is going away.

Right.  But you'll still get an app when you type 'mozilla'.  It will
just be a new revision of that app - Phoenix is, after all, just heavily
modified Mozilla; it wasn't written from scratch.  ~,^

Given the current Phoenix snapshots, I'm rather sure all the same
content plugins, command line ops, and so on will continue working.  In
the odd case that the 'mozilla' command disappers (which it shouldn't -
the current command is mozilla, after all, not seamonkey, and firebird
is a codename just like seamonkey; mozilla is still the actual product),
a distributor could just link them.  ^,^