Re: CrackPipe [was: Re: Legacy apps and themes]

Thought I'd point out that we have a working preferences system in
Anjuta which works on a somewhat similar concept, ehich is:

You design a Glade interface and name your fields to the property names.
A generic library then reads the property names, gets the widget type
and depending on the type, figures out how to get the value. The backend
is properties files, but of course, using GConf instead is trivial.

Basically, it's the reverse approach of CrackPipe: instead of specifying
the keys and generating the UI from it, you use Glade to specify your
dialog(s) and the preferences get created from it. The plus side is that
you get to use Glade to get nice control over the Preferences GUI. Also,
adding a new preference is as simple as adding a widget to the dialog.