Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 15:34, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 17:29, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 08:41, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > <quote who="Daniel Farrell">

> > I really get the feeling that Gaim isn't
> > interested in being a GNOME application, and probably shouldn't be a
> > GNOME desktop application, based on their antagonistic attitude towards
> > GNOME.

> Like I said before I am not married to it.  But I don't think one should
> just dismiss the codebase out of hand.  It is currently the most stable,
> popular and best working IM for Gnome.

For GNOME 2, or for GNOME?  I guess it probably is the most popular, but
the other two are certainly open for debate, at least talking about
GNOME.

> > > (One issue with IM stuff is that we can't rely on proprietary protocols and
> > > servers working, and to satisfy a large majority of the users, we'd really
> > > be wanting to support them... So, kind of a tough position.)
> >
> > Yeah, a client that supports jabber first and foremost (assuming that it
> > doesn't also do IRC, since the UI for that doesn't tend to work out well
> > with the person-to-person nature of most other IM protocols) should be
> > the client that we put in the GNOME desktop, when there's a client
> > that's ready.  I don't have a good feeling that anything will be ready
> > in the GNOME 2.4 timeframe.
>
> This is the problem I see all too often.  People want to be pure to the
> point that they ignore a currently working option.  I understand and
> respect the need for an open protocol enviornment but Gaim does support
> open protocols.  What would be nice is to use Gaim for now and slowly
> transition to libgaim the same way Gnome Multimedia was transitioned to
> gstreamer.  I guess it could all be hashed out at the distribution level
> for right now while gnome propper ponders the deaper issues.  I realy
> don't care what I use as long as it supports AOL (which is what my
> friends use) and has a similar interface as Gaim.

When I was using gaim, I didn't use my jabber account, because the
jabber support was so frustrating.  It kept trying to log on to the
transports that I'd set up with a jabber client, and kicking me off of
the other chat protocols.  I think I filed a bug, but it probably got
closed with all of my others as simply "we don't care about old bugs".
Anyway, that's really just a technical gripe about Gaim, but I haven't
been impressed with their support of jabber in the past.  Hopefully
they'll get it working better soon.

I don't think including gaim now and moving to libgaim when it's ready
is a particularly good idea.  That is, if we can push the file selector
towards GNOME 2.6, we may as well push IM until we have something
"good", rather than "whatever we can get quickly".

As for the interface, I'm willing to look at other ideas, but I didn't
see anything that was so good about Gaim's that I wouldn't switch to
another client (err, ok, so I did switch, but that's another story).
	Greg