Re: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 07:47, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On Sunday 06 April 2003 11:39, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> > > I don't know if you understand what I try to explain you but I can
> > > guarantee for sure that you will get a lot of hateful comments from
> > > people, the day you start turning Phoenix into a native GNOME app in it's
> > > default source repository.
> >
> > Yeah, well there will always be some trolls who have nothing better to do
> > that try and throw dirt on gnome, be it on gnomedesktop.org, osnews or
> > slashdot, hey I have even seen a worst case example of a troll who not only
> > posts to these sites, but also mails some of the gnome development lists
> > with crap. But I am sure you agree that we can not let trolls run the
> > development of gnome.
> >
> > > Sorry for my not really diplomatic reply but I like to tell you what I
> > > think about this without sounding like a hypocrite.
> >
> > No, we appreciate your honesty and will to help us develop a better desktop,
> > and maybe thanks to your warning we will be able to avoid the anger of some
> > of the people trolling against gnome in the future.
>
> Seriously you wonder why people work against GNOME and the community instead
> with it ? Your attitute is not very nice and for sure not shared by many
> people. I bet that at least 70% of the people on this mailinglist (if not
> more) rather agree to my writing than yours.
>
> If you don't agree what I was trying to explain then it's your freedom to
> bring up a reasonable statement to prove me wrong or ingoring what I wrote.
> You may not belive this but I got quite "A LOT" private emails the last days
> from people exactly from this list or the places you mentioned who told me to
> be right with what I wrote. It's simply my opinion and If you don't share it,
> then it's your problem not mine. You shouldn't point the finger at someone
> and call him to be dirty while you are throwing with dirt yourself (ok some
> people on this list may not understand this sentence but I think you got it
> already).
>
> Yes GNOME is perfect and going in the right direction. If you leave all the
> bad press and the complaining users out then you are right. I would seriously
> wish that some of you people (in this case you) stop being so ignorant and
> start listening to the users instead glueing them TROLL stickers on the head.
>
> Well I stop here since it wasn't my intention to sound like a jerk but I liked
> to answer you the same public way you answered me.
>
> Think about it.

Well, I'll speak as one of the quiet people on this list.  I think Gnome
is absolutely going in the right direction!  The direction that has been
decided on is great!  The direction isn't to try to satisfy the current
users and give them everything they want.  The direction is to get a
bigger picture, to design for who we want as users.  The current
direction of Gnome puts it into competition with XP and OS X, which is
great!  To go from hacker desktop to a usable your mom's desktop in such
short of a time is amazing.  Man, I wish Eazel came around at this point
instead of a couple of years ago...

The old crowd says "this isn't what I want, stupid Gnome" and leaves for
KDE or some other desktop.  That's fine.  But don't get mad at Gnome
because it's aiming at the normal user.  Think bigger...  expand your
vision...  Gnome to the world!

Daniel