Re: Recently used applications

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 06:28:32PM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 01:50, John McCutchan wrote:
>
> > Yes, I switched over some people from Windows XP to gnome 2 (RedHat 8)
> > And a repeated comment, was where are the list of my recent applications?
> > People like this feature, most people would use Word, Internet Explorer,
> > Excel and Windows Media player all the time, so they would always be in
> > that list. So for them it was a two click process instead of a one click
> > scan list (That as a non power user you are unfamiliar with and don't
> > care to get familiar with), click.
>
> > A comment I got was "I hate having to search through the menus just to find
> > my movie player".
>
> Sounds like you're in a great position to gather some usability data for
> us here :)  Some things it would be useful to find out:
>
> - Why didn't those users create shortcuts for those application in XP's
> shortcut bar, which would have allowed them to launch them with a single
> click rather than two or more?

Okay, I asked one: Here is how it went:

Q: "Why didn't you just move your most frequently used applications
to the shortcut bar"

A: "I don't know how"

After showing how

A: "I don't like them their because it takes up space from my
background buttons, I like to keep everything running so I use alot of
space with background buttons."

background buttons meaning the list of running programs.

Q: "Why do you find it difficult to find your programs in gnome?"