Re: Connect to Server feature

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 15:19, James Henstridge wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 04:56, James Henstridge wrote:
> >
> >>This sounds very similar to the Windows "My Network Places" virtual
> >>folder (hate the name, but like the functionality).  It is basically a
> >>way to store links to often used file shares, computers, webdav servers,
> >>etc.  To add a link/shortcut into the network places folder on windows,
> >>there is an "Add network place" icon in the folder itself, which is nice
> >>as it associates the action of adding the icons with the window where
> >>the icon will appear.  Maybe this would be a good idea for hadess's
> >>network: folder.
> >>

> >It's the same, except that here you add the shortcuts from the dialog,
> >not from nautilus.
> >
> There is a dialog on Windows too.  I was talking about the way that the
> dialog is launched (on windows, by double clicking on the "add network
> place" icon).  It may be worth doing something similar here (and would
> solve hp's concern about dependence on the menu panel).

Here goes.

Patches still in the gnome-os module. The smb.desktop ended up in
gnome-vfs-extras as it should have.

Patches against gnome-vfs and gnome-panel.

A pretty complete screenshot of the different interfaces:
http://hadess.net/files/shots/18-07-2002.3.jpg

(and dammit, I didn't get the icon for the dialog right, fixed in CVS)

The biggest problem I see is, where do we want the dialog's binary ? It
doesn't make that much sense in the panel anymore. Anybody has an idea ?

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net