Re: [Usability] Re: Control-center styles

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:53:39AM -0500, John Kodis wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 02:46:55AM -0600, Gregory Merchan wrote:
>
> > >                                             . . . And some dialogs
> > > can't be transients simply because there is no window to be
> > > transient for.
> >
> > Then why did it appear? What dialog could the user have requested
> > that does not have a parent window?
>
> The most recent example of this was the dialog window that popped up on
> a Mac to tell me that "A TCP/IP address conflict has been detected...".
>
> I suppose you could claim that this window should have been transient
> for the root window, or that it was some type of window other than a
> dialog, but from my naive Mac user perspective, it sure looked like a
> parentless dialog window.
>
> -- John Kodis.

Ah, ok.

That would be treated in the same manner as a dialog, afaik, so my idea
that the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR property could be used is definitely out.

Aside:
 We're making a distinction between the windows that popup at the user's
 request and those that popup because the user needs to be informed of
 something. The latter are being called "alerts". The distinction is
 important because alerts are usually an unpleasant experience and should
 be avoided insofar as is possible.