Re: Control-center styles

<quote who="Jeff Waugh">

> <quote who="Gregory Merchan">
>
> >   http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/workspace-settings/
> >
> > Placing buttons at the bottom of the window is not an option. This would
> > make them look too much like dialogs and when placed there they would
> > change location dramatically when an advanced group of settings is displayed.
>
> Dude, I think your heart is in the right place, but your buttons most
> certainly aren't. :)
>
> [ The concept is great, but the interface doesn't really tie in with
> everything else (familiarity, etc). ]

Further thought:

You're right in that these are toolbar-style buttons; thus they don't belong
on the bottom row [1]. This seems to be a good compromise, given that many
don't believe that dialogues should have toolbars.

What are your thoughts on extra buttons in file dialogues, such as
navigation helpers (home, 'my documents') and disk/network browsing buttons?
Perhaps these are in the same league, and should be looked at similarly...

See this screenshot:

  http://perkypants.org/screenshots/os9-open-location-menu.jpg

[ I think this is usability list fodder now. :) Reply-To set accordingly. ]

- Jeff

[1] Although help probably does, as it's an action, and we have a standard
spot for it.

--
   "I think hot Chinese girls who kick ass are the wave of the future, as
                far as films go." - Cody Russell (bratsche)