Re: [Deskbar] Firefox: Extra search engines

2007/2/15, Andrew Conkling <andrew conkling gmail com>:
On 2/14/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel kamstrup gmail com> wrote:
> I am the one responsible for the ff2 search engine parser. Another "bug"
> that is very similar to what you describe (and probably stems from the same
> issue) is that if you disable search engines, they still show up in deskbar.
> I must be honest and confess that I don't know how to fix this. I've
> searched everywhere for some setting that I could read to check for disabled
> search engines, but I couldn't find it. I'm afraid it is stored somewhere in
> a database-like binary structure that I'm not really keen on parsing...
>
> If anybody knows where the find these settings it would be appreciated.

Hi Mikkel,
Thanks for your work on getting these into Deskbar!

I'm willing to take a look at some of the files on my system to see if
I can find anything. Is it possible to find the code that parses
whatever it is that it parses to see if I could find something here?
(I have hacked a bit of Python in my day. ;)

I don't think the actual deskbar sources will help you. The answer lies in the Firefox sources (which scares the **** out of me :-D).

If you want to look at the deskbar sources here's how: You can do an svn checkout as decribed here: http://live.gnome.org/DeskbarApplet, and you will find the sources in deskbar-applet/deskbar/handlers/mozilla.py. Otherwise you can just look directly in the installed files: /usr/lib/deskbar-applet/handlers/mozilla.py. The class Firefox2SearchEngineParser is the one doing the parsing of the firefox search engines.

On the actual plugins. The user-installed ones are located in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<your-profile>/searchplugins/ and the global system ones are in  /usr/share/firefox/searchplugins.

Good hunting :-) Cheers,
Mikkel