Re: Desktop Search Hackfest

Hey Max,

> I am thinking about joining in order to help hacking on the beagle side
> of things. So far it looks like Kevin is the only one joining for

Kevin and Lukas have signed up till now. Unfortunately most of the other
people who are involved with the project wont be able to make it. I didnt
email the list since there were not a lot of people who were participating
lately; so I wasnt sure if people are at all interested.

> beagle. Are there any thoughts on the concrete coding tasks proposed on
> the wiki - what should we focus on etc?

I missed Kevin on the IRC today, but I think it would be wise to take
advantage of the fact that other desktop search devs would be there (looks
like full team for Strigi/Nepomuk and Tracker). I have a few stray thoughts
in mind, not much.

* Someone was proposing a sort of test-suite with lots of sample files and a
database of what works and to what extent. There is already a bunch of files
in svn/trunk/beagle/testing/files but we never managed to create a proper
test suite. If you all can decide a common test suite then that will help all
the projects. It will also help the developers in improving their
filters/analyzers.

* A gnome-do plugin would be good and a krunner plugin would be good. You dont
really need to be at the hackfest to do these though :-)

* I know Arun (beagle-xesam author) is a bit busy these days, so any kind of
help in beagle-xesam would be nice. Since Mikkel and other xesam people would
be there, this is a good chance to figure out what needs to be changed in
beagle or where beagle wont conform to the spec.

I havent put much thought into the meeting; also I will be gone for a month
starting Wednesday so pretty much that is all I can help you with.

Keep up posted on what happens,

beagle / KDE / Mandriva / Inspiron-1100