Re: Desktop Search Hackfest

2008/7/29 Debajyoti Bera <dbera web gmail com>:
[...]
> * I know Arun (beagle-xesam author) is a bit busy these days, so any kind of
> help in beagle-xesam would be nice. Since Mikkel and other xesam people would
> be there, this is a good chance to figure out what needs to be changed in
> beagle or where beagle wont conform to the spec.

I wish I was going, but other commitments prevent me from making it. :(

I've had this on my todo list for a while, but let me just dump what
needs to be done (other than those in http://is.gd/16An)

1) The mapping between Xesam and Beagle ontologies
(Fields/Sources/Contents) should be moved into a configuration file
(XML file in /etc/beagle/ seems most reasonable). This will allow
modifications to the mapping without recompiling/

2) The adaptor is up-to-date (other than the issues in the ISSUES
file) w.r.t. 0.9 RC1. Subsequent changes which are documented on
http://xesam.org need to be incorporated. This shouldn't be too hard.
It's best to test against Mikkel's test suite in the xesam-tools
package.

3) It's probably a good time to move the adaptor into Beagle proper.
The lower the barrier to getting a Xesam server going, the better the
chance of clients adopting the spec, etc.

Let me know if there's any bit of the code that doesn't make sense (:D).

Cheers,
--
Arun Raghavan
(http://nemesis.accosted.net)