Re: Gaim/Beagle crash

Hi,

Kevin Kubasik wrote:
Hey, totally my code, so my apologies. Unfortunately, this is a
galago/dbus issue,and sadly, since its in-process, theres not a lot we
can do, did you compile this yourself, or is a distro package? Also,
what distro, as this really is more a packaging issues, as galago
shouldn't be shipped without a working dbus install. I mean, we already
can handle galago not working/crashing 90% of the time, but if if dbus
is installed but not set up, I think we just get screwed (along with a
healthy dose of other apps =/ )

It's true that it's Galago which is killing the process, and there isn't anything beagle-search can do about it. But there are a couple of bugs here, as I see it:

process 12219: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.

This indicates just as it says: D-Bus isn't properly set up. Newer versions require that a UUID be generated before it's used. I believe this is supposed to be done by postinstall scripts, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

So, packaging bug in D-Bus.

Galago-ERROR **: Unable to connect to session bus: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session
aborting...

Libraries should (almost) never, ever abort. Galago should gracefully handle D-Bus's inability to start and just run in a degraded mode. I would consider this to be a bug in Galago.

I'd suggest filing the D-Bus one against Debian and the Galago one upstream to the developers. As a last resort, you could rebuild Beagle yourself without Galago support, but the D-Bus problem really needs to be fixed or else other people will have bigger problems.