Re: beagles eating my /var filesystem

Hi again,

> The way the enable-deletions work is, while traversing the directories,
> beagle keeps a note of all the directories that were modified since last
> index. When indexing is done, it starts looking at those directories (it
> prints a message "Checking xxx for deleted files and directories") and
> recursively finds files and directories in them which are deleted. The last
> step involves getting a list of all files in that directory and checking if
> they exist, and if not deleting them - basically pretty expensive. In short,
> only the dirty directories are checked for deleted content (directories
> within deleted directories are handled on the way).
>
> So, if you sometimes run without --enable-deletion, beagle will not remove
> the deleted content but obviously would mark every directory as clean after
> the indexing is over. So the next time you run with --enable-deletion, it
> sees the directory is clean and will not check it for deleted content.
>
> I think there should be a --enable-force-deletion to just scan all the uris
> in the index and remove the ones not in the index - it will be pretty
> expensive but users can run it once in a while.

One more thing, if --disable-directories is used (as is done for
application and documentation index crawl-rules), then the whole
--enable-deletion will not work. Directories are not be stored in the
index and so there is no way of knowing if a directory is dirty or
not. A --enable-force-deletion kind of option will be helpful in this
case.