Re: Matching partial strings?

On Dienstag 27 Juni 2006 04:24, Adrian Sai-wah Tam wrote:

> Actually, I agree that having partial string match is difficult (in
> terms of computational complexity) and not possible due to performance
> reasons.

Lucene can do these kind of queries, using the WildcardQuery class. Just
note that at least the Java version of Lucene doesn't accept "*" as the
first character when using QueryParser, but creating a WildcardQuery like
"*foo*" using the API works. However, this is slow. Faster solutions have
been discussed on the Lucene mailing list, using a special way to rotate
terms.

regards
 Daniel

--