Re: beagle queryable for Gentoo installed ebuilds

On 4/5/06, Pat Double <pat patdouble com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 06:48, Kevin Kubasik wrote:
> > I defiantly agree, multiple indexies is a huge waste. However, we do
> > this with some stuff, like filtering manpages and applications,
> > perhaps we should consider adding a default system wide index location
> > (like /var/beagle) and start including all those indexies there.
>
> I thought /var/lib/cache/beagle/indexes was for this?

It is *blush*

> > This is exactly the issue, the static queryiable doesn't handle
> > live/incremental updates well. (or at all at this point) by having our
> > own crawling/change/event handling code we can significantly decrease
> > the overhead of updates.
>
> It does handle incremental updates somewhat, if you run beagle-build-index
> you'll see which files it is updating. For no changed files you'll see no
> output (except for the memory status). It isn't live though.
>
> > My other thought is that gentoo's update system does modify a lot of
> > files, more so than most systems (as there is no real versioning) and
> > most users just type an emerge --sync or similar and can have 100
> > ebuilds change a day, and easily over 500 a week. Debian (especially
> > stable) defiantly leans toward a more static system, but of all the
> > package managers, I was under the impression that gentoo was the most
> > dynamic....
>
> I am considering only the installed packages here, not the whole portage tree.
> That only changes when packages are updated, installed or removed. For Gentoo
> I still think live updates are not needed, Gentoo discourages emerge --sync
> more than once a day anyway. However beagle-build-index will need some
> performance improvments here. It takes longer to process a static index that
> hasn't changed than to generate a new one, at least for the ebuild files.

Ok, I thought you were planning the whole portage tree. I definatly
agree about the need for a performance increase in beagle-build-index,
I (like many others) have found that even its 'incremental' updates
take a very long time. Live updates are not needed, but I was thinking
more along the lines of a simple means up updating the index without
slamming the disk for 10 minutes every time we scan.

--
Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik