Re: beagle queryable for Gentoo installed ebuilds

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 19:46, Kevin Kubasik wrote:
> I was thinking of doing something similar to debian's package list
> (its all stored in one file, but similar idea). I was planning on
> doing a full blow crawler/scheduler with live updates etc, but maybe
> thats just overkill.....
>
> -Kevin

I considered that, but thought it is overkill for the Gentoo integration for
these reasons:

1. It is mostly static, most users I do not believe are upgrading on a daily
basis or more. I know some may be but I believe this to be the exception.
2. It is system wide, not per user. Using a crawler and scheduler would mean a
separate database for each user.
3. Most coding philosophy is KISS.
4. The current indexing tools must rebuild the index every time, beagle is
better in that it would detect changes.

I did implement the functionality in the ebuild filter since I had already
written the code to create the properties just to see how it would work. I
definately want the opinions of the beagle devs first though.

--
Pat Double, pat patdouble com
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."