Re: beagle queryable for Gentoo installed ebuilds

Hey,

On 4/4/06, Pat Double <pat patdouble com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 April 2006 19:46, Kevin Kubasik wrote:
> > I was thinking of doing something similar to debian's package list
> > (its all stored in one file, but similar idea). I was planning on
> > doing a full blow crawler/scheduler with live updates etc, but maybe
> > thats just overkill.....
> >
> > -Kevin
> >

> I considered that, but thought it is overkill for the Gentoo integration for
> these reasons:
>
> 1. It is mostly static, most users I do not believe are upgrading on a daily
> basis or more. I know some may be but I believe this to be the exception.
Possible, see more on my opinion for this later.
> 2. It is system wide, not per user. Using a crawler and scheduler would mean a
> separate database for each user.
I defiantly agree, multiple indexies is a huge waste. However, we do
this with some stuff, like filtering manpages and applications,
perhaps we should consider adding a default system wide index location
(like /var/beagle) and start including all those indexies there.
> 3. Most coding philosophy is KISS.
Agreed.
> 4. The current indexing tools must rebuild the index every time, beagle is
> better in that it would detect changes.
This is exactly the issue, the static queryiable doesn't handle
live/incremental updates well. (or at all at this point) by having our
own crawling/change/event handling code we can significantly decrease
the overhead of updates.

My other thought is that gentoo's update system does modify a lot of
files, more so than most systems (as there is no real versioning) and
most users just type an emerge --sync or similar and can have 100
ebuilds change a day, and easily over 500 a week. Debian (especially
stable) defiantly leans toward a more static system, but of all the
package managers, I was under the impression that gentoo was the most
dynamic....

My $0.02, just playing devil's advocate to explore everything. Also, I
don't want anyone thinking I'm an authority on any of this, last time
I used gentoo was over a year ago.....

Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik

--