Re: Roadmap for the future.

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 12:44, Nat Friedman wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 18:33, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> > There has been some though into how we can watch what has focus.
> > But we can probably only see what program (or rather window) has
> > focus.
>
> Yeah, and that's not good enough.

Nowhere near good enough.  :(

> [D-Bus]
> > I still think we should support 5903 so frontends can be on other
> > machines on the LAN.  ie, I'd run Dashboard on my notebook, but display
> > the windows on my desktop (bigger screen) and run xchat on my desktop.
> > I'd like to have xchat feeding into Dashboard when it's running.
>
> One thing I should have mentioned in my last email is that we currently
> have Dashboard.TcpServer which subclasses Dashboard.Server.
>
> There's no reason we couldn't have Dashboard.DbusServer as well.  And
> also Dashboard.XRootWinPropServer, Dashboard.UnixSocketServer,
> Dashboard.BlueToothServer, etc.

Ahhh...  That sounds like a good idea.  It could be interesting to
listen to the D-Bus stuff that RB and the like generate.  Is u-dev
doing that yet?

This way we don't need plugins for everything...  Although we don't
have the focus information for free unless we have another component
that's doing that.

> But this just isn't a priority for me personally and I sure wouldn't
> accept a patch that *replaces* the existing TCP server.

Cool.

--
Andrew Ruthven
Senior Systems Engineer, Actrix Networks Ltd   -->   www.actrix.gen.nz