Re: Moving to Git

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:04 PM, John Stowers <john stowers gmail com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Alexandre <airmind gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now that Gnome moved to git, I wanted to move my branches to the Gnome
>> git. I understood the procedure to move the changes from one branch to
>> another (I havent done it yet, so I dont know if it'll work for me),
>
> This may also be helpful http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/GitMigration
>
>> but I dont quite understand how to move my branches to Gnome git. For
>> instance, I have some branches in my GitHub account:
>> http://github.com/airmind/conduit/tree, but I dont want to move all of them
>> to the Gnome git, as some of them are not very useful and others I was
>> testing patches.
>
> This is a confusing situation, becase AIUI
>
> 1) you will need to recreate your github repo to be a clone of gnome git,
> a) Backup your local clone of github
> b) Deleting your existing github repo from the web interface
> 2) Rebase your existing repos onto the new clone
> 3) Push all branches to github
> 4) Push selected branches to gnome
>
> I really want Jc2k to explain to you how to do this, as he wll need to move
> his own conduit repos from github to gnome now, or at least he will need to
> rebase them.

I used "git format-patch master" on each branch to makes patches from
master to my local branch. If you hacked on master directly then its
probably "git format-patch origin/svn/master" or something.

I got a fresh checkout of git.gnome.org/conduit and simply:

git checkout -b new-branch
git am ../path/to/*.patch

Then i deleted my git-mirror repository from github and pushed my new
one. I used git remote add so that "git push origin" sends to
git.gnome.org and "git push github" pushes to my github. I dont think
there is a proper github way to mirror an upstream repository (?), so
you might want to fork the one on my github page so it knows yours is
related.

>> But I still want to have the ability to create public and temporary
>> branches, for testing patches and other small changes. Do Gnome provide some
>> kind of personal repository for my branches? I'm not sure that is even what
>> I want.
>
> Well to create a branch on gnome git, just push to it
>
> git clone git://git.gnome.org/conduit
> git checkout -b new-branch
> git push origin new-branch

I'm using github for personal temporary branches.

>> Anyway, could someone explain to me or point me somewhere else I can know
>> more about the commit workflow now that Gnome moved to git? For instance,
>> how does the prepare-Changelog script works with Git?
>
> I am still deciding what to do with the ChangeLog.
>
> I think we can just deal with the pain of updating it manually for now,
> until the next release. After then I will auto-generate it from the git
> commit log. I will release the next release (0.3.16) when
> * The new config stuff has been completed (required for all dataproviders
> except FileModule)
>    - And the Dbus interface has been ported to work with it
> * The new settings serialization stuff has been finished (see new-settings
> branch)
>
> John
>

>> Regards,
>> Alexandre Rosenfeld