Re: RFC: Ideas for preferences dialog

hi,

Quoting "daniel g. siegel" <dgsiegel gmail com>:

On Mi, 2008-04-02 at 14:09 -0700, James Liggett wrote:
On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 23:40 +0300, Stefan Kost wrote:
> GConf as such is not that poirtable (or it won't make sense). But unless someone
> plans to port Cheese to Mac or Win32, just ignore my comment.
Based on some quick googling, it seems your point is perfectly valid. I
honestly have no idea what our broader portability priorities are. As it
stands now, we just use GConf directly, so anyone wanting to port to Mac
or Windows would probably need to rip out CheeseGConf and reimplement it
anyway. We don't have the fancy backend stuff like Buzztard does ;)

To all: Seeing that Stefan brought it up, it might be worth asking
before I make changes: Do we want to make portability to non Unix
platforms a priority here? I think it would be wise if we covered our
bases and did so. If this is the case I will (grudgingly) leave
CheeseGConf as-is for now.

well.. to be honest: we use v4l/v4l2, wich is definitely a linux-only
thing. i can imagine, that cheese might work on a bsd platform, it works
on a maemo platform, but thats it.

Like we have autoaudiosink and autovideosink, I was planning to add audioaudisrc and autovideosrc to gstreamer one day. Then under win32 you would automatically get a directshowsrc :). The wonders of gstreamer.

Stefan

so if there isnt a "port" of v4l/v4l2 to windows or mac, i would just
ignore the portability and concentrate on something good on linux.

daniel

Thanks,
James