Re: RFC: Ideas for preferences dialog

hi james,

James Liggett schrieb:
Hi,
For a couple of weeks now I've been formulating some ideas as to how we
could implement our prefs dialog so that my resolution changing patch
can finally get into trunk. :-)

First, I think we should reimplement CheeseGConf to make it easier to
add new keys to the system. Currently, we're using GObject's property
system, which makes it easy to set and get many keys at once in a
type-safe manner. But, there's a lot of extra work to be done to do
this. To add new keys, you have to register the key as a property of
CheeseGConf, and then you have to add the set/get stuff in the
appropriate functions. However, GConf provides its own type-safe
mechanism for setting and getting option contents. So, what I propose is
to eliminate the use of GObject properties, and replace them with our
own methods that act the same way as g_object_set/get. We can accomplish
this easily with the GConfValue API and gconf_value_set/get. If we do
this, new keys can be set up only by adding to the schema file--the rest
is handled internally.

I actually also proxy GConf setting through a GObject in buzztard. I have a BtSettings class and it has a backened, which can be GConf or GKeyfile. This eases portabillity and one can use the GObject as usual. The mising part is to generate the gconf schema from the gobject class, to ease maintenance.

Stefan