RE: Calendar does not show time or date

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:

I've compiled gnome-3.10.x on tinycorelinux, which does not use systemd or timedated. The UTC offset is
set to Asia/Dubai and the bios time/date to UTC.

Where did you locate Asia/Dubai?  What call/env var/etc.?

The system is set up in a way analogous to Linux From Scratch
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/glibc.html -install timezone data)

Basically a symlink /etc/localtime -> /usr/local/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Dubai
And $TZ=Asia/Dubai

It would be good if an alternative to systemd could be offered.

I'm curious, are you using GNOME's System Settings on your machine?  As I indicated, their time/date panel
uses timedated to get/set the timezone.

Do you mean gnome-control-center? If so, yes I'm using it and everything works fine expect those parts
relying on timedated and friends.