Re: [Banshee-List] gtk3 branch testing

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Andres G. Aragoneses <knocte gmail com> wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 01:58 PM, gnomeuser gmail com wrote:

>>> IMO the steps to do the testing are too complicated to do even for
>>> technical
>>> people. I think we should just merge the GTK3 branch as soon as possible
>>> do a release. In the end we're still rolling out development releases,
>>> and
>>> this is exactly the purpose of this kind of releases: early feedback by
>>> users without the need of do the compilation themselves.
>>

>> I tend to agree and as the, getting punished by OS X's strangeness on
>> a regular basis, guy I would like to have it merged quickly. If recent
>> history is any guide this is going to take an epic amount of time to
>> get working on OS X, let alone in a shippable state. However given
>> that the next release is set of the 21th (which my wife has graciously
>> agreed to delay the family vacation to allow me to do a build for), if
>> 2.3.3 is going to be GTK#3 based I would love for it to be merged
>> today. More time for packagers to get this all lined up and tested
>

> As olivier mentioned, we need to get other releases done before merging
> (gtk-sharp 3.0 beta the main one) so I guess today is impossible :)
>
> We could harass Mike Kestner to do the beta release asap, and if it's still
> not too late, merge gtk3 before the 21th...
>
> But my feeling is that it's maybe rushing a bit. What we may want to do is
> get the gtksharp and gudevsharp releases out before the 21th, and then just
> after releasing 2.3.3, merge gtk3 branch into master.
>
> Let's see what Bertrand thinks!

Gee, and I still wonder how I ended up apparently running this show... :)

Well, I have two pull requests pending for gtk-sharp :
https://github.com/mono/gtk-sharp/pull/31
https://github.com/mono/gtk-sharp/pull/32

As you can see, they are both related to memory management, and I
believe they fix some leaks, but could cause some if I'm doing things
wrong. I guess Mike is being careful, as, since I opened those, he has
merged some other, simpler, pull requests.

There are probably some other issues lurking around in gtk-sharp and
our gtk3 branch, but I think those would be crashes or "being ugly"
issues, not "eating your data" issues.
By the way, speaking about being ugly, I'd like to get rid of the
border around the toolbar, and experiment with the "primary-toolbar"
style.

While it might be OK for development releases to depend on git
snapshots, I don't think it's reasonable to have this for a major
stable release. So the question is: will our dependencies, gtk-sharp
is particular, be ready for 2.4, which is scheduled for March 21st
(and preferably for our feature freeze, on February 15th).

Please keep in mind that, once the gtk3 branch is merged in git
master, backing out later on would be... messy. The diff between the
two branches for both Banshee and Hyena is about 2000 lines added,
3500 lines deleted.

So I don't think there's a good reason to rush the merge before the
2.3.3 release. My suggestion would be to re-evaluate the situation in
early January, and see how we proceed then.
Who knows what Santa Claus and the New Year might bring ! :)

In the meantime, build, test, report bugs, write code !

--
Bertrand Lorentz