Re: [Banshee-List] gtk3 branch testing

2011/12/13 Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Andres G. Aragoneses <knocte gmail com> wrote:

>>> I tend to agree and as the, getting punished by OS X's strangeness on
>>> a regular basis, guy I would like to have it merged quickly. If recent
>>> history is any guide this is going to take an epic amount of time to
>>> get working on OS X, let alone in a shippable state. However given
>>> that the next release is set of the 21th (which my wife has graciously
>>> agreed to delay the family vacation to allow me to do a build for), if
>>> 2.3.3 is going to be GTK#3 based I would love for it to be merged
>>> today. More time for packagers to get this all lined up and tested
>>

>> As olivier mentioned, we need to get other releases done before merging
>> (gtk-sharp 3.0 beta the main one) so I guess today is impossible :)
>>
>> We could harass Mike Kestner to do the beta release asap, and if it's still
>> not too late, merge gtk3 before the 21th...
>>
>> But my feeling is that it's maybe rushing a bit. What we may want to do is
>> get the gtksharp and gudevsharp releases out before the 21th, and then just
>> after releasing 2.3.3, merge gtk3 branch into master.
>>
>> Let's see what Bertrand thinks!
>
> Gee, and I still wonder how I ended up apparently running this show... :)

It's your sexy trust inspiring beard and enhancing accent :)

Regardless I did some preliminary work on packaging this.

Instant problems:
librsvg doesn't compile out of the box against a gtk3 stack on OS X
(will look into this but it looks to be some ASM stuff which is going
to be.. fun).

Theming, Murrine requires gtk2 and tango-icon-theme requires librsvg
so we are going to look like crap for now I suspect.

gst-plugins-good attempts to compile cairooverlay which doesn't work
against gtk3 (so no ogg, flac and such).

mono-addins requires gtk-sharp2. This sems like porting will be
required so volunteers for that would be fantastic.

So there is still plenty to do on the packaging side to make this
work. I already had to package what seems like half of X to make the
required cairo to compile to enable introspection in gtk3.

It is not as big a job as I expected but getting things to even a
place where I can distribute a test image is going to require some
help.

Of course gudev-sharp isn't relevant to OS X so I get off easy on that one.

-David