Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee from Intrepid repository not up to date

On 1/8/2010 19:59, bornagainpenguin wrote:
You're welcome to help maintain the Hardy and Intrepid bits if you feel
sidelined or ignored.

Really?  And what if I am not a programmer?  What if I'm merely a prodigious
end-user whose managed to slowly learn enough about Linux, FOSS, *NIX, etc
to run his desktop?  What then?

You've jumped to a conclusion here that the original post did not warrant-- you don't necessarily need to be a programmer to contribute to maintaining builds for older platforms. Sometimes all build maintenance requires is someone with a) the platform, b) the time, and c) basic command line knowledge with good IRC, Mailing List and Bugzilla/Launchpad usage and communication skills.

Because its a community effort, whatever skills (or even money) you have the time and the patience to lend can be used to affect the changes that you wish to make. Free software is a misnomer (regardless of the FSF's opinion on the matter) in that it still requires just as much hard work, effort, time, and patience as any other software. (…and programming remains only one facet in a larger ecology of skills required to make good software.)

If you've managed to become a "prodigious end-user" of Linux, you probably have enough skills in some of those areas to contribute something of value to the community, if that were your desire to do so. If you have the time and patience, I would encourage you to lend those to this project.

I'm not "on the team" and have no official weight to any of my words, whatsoever. I hope, however, that you can see the message I'm trying to get across as a friendly neutral appeal for you to take a step back from your current attempt at discourse, give things a little patience, and attempt to see what you can positively contribute to further discussion and/or this community at large.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net