Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee from Intrepid repository not up to date

On Saturday 09,January,2010 04:47 AM, bornagainpenguin wrote:

> You're probably going to be waiting for quite a bit, as even us Hardy Heron
> 8.04.3 (LTS) users aren't getting any updates and our support is
> **supposed** to be good until April 2011!
Your support from Canonical for Ubuntu Hardy is good until April 2011. Correct.
However, Canonical supports only packages within the official repositories. As I
mentioned in my previous e-mail, the PPA is a third party repository, under the
PPA maintainer's jurisdiction, i.e. me, in the case of all the ~banshee-team PPAs.

> I recall reading somewhere here
> in these Nabble forums there was an issue with a Mono library that wouldn't
> compile correctly, and someone said back it had been fixed for months.  That
> was almost three months ago itself.  Basically unless we're willing to ride
> the bleeding edge there is no support available for us Ubuntu users.
Yes, and it still won't compile correctly. Perhaps the next version of Banshee
will. Frankly speaking, maintaining Banshee and all related packages for three
versions of Ubuntu in a PPA single-handedly is not an easy task to do, and three
releases back is as far as I can go. I am a student who needs to spend time
studying after all. You're welcome to help maintain the Hardy and Intrepid bits
if you feel sidelined or ignored.

Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 is not bleeding edge. It is a stable version of Ubuntu
released in October this year, and it has current Banshee packages in the PPA
uploaded by me. If you consider Karmic as "bleeding edge", and are not "willing
to ride the bleeding edge", then there is no reason for you to use Banshee 1.5.2
either, because by your definition, that would be "bleeding edge" as well.

> I'd welcome being proven wrong, but its definitely the way it seems from
> here.  This isn't just an issue with Banshee, there are many projects that
> only seem to cater to the latest and greatest release of Ubuntu, the users
> who do not or cannot upgrade for whatever reason are ignored.  It is for
> this reason (among others) I've begun distro-shopping lately and will
> probably not bother with Banshee once I move on.
Please understand that it takes time and resources to continue supporting old
versions of software. We at Ubuntu try to extend our support as long as possible
for our releases, but there is also a limit to how much we can support. Ubuntu's
policy is that once we have released, we will only push bugfixes to the users,
not new upstream releases. New upstream releases will go into the "latest and
greatest version of Ubuntu" as you have put it.

If you've begun distro-shopping, good luck, and have fun with your next distro
and next media player. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another media
player as good as Banshee, or (in my opinion) a distro as good as Ubuntu.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)