Re: [Banshee-List] Can't reference other projects in Banshee Community Extensions

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 1:59 PM, KillerSponge <killersponge gmail com> wrote:

> I'm trying to write a Banshee plugin using the Banshee Community Extensions
> framework and MonoDevelop. The basic example plugin compiles and works
> perfectly, but now I need to reference another project (a Spotify library).
> I can see the project in the reference list, and can even browse its methods
> in the assembly browser, but when I try to compile the plugin, it crashes on
> the line "using Spotify;", saying that "the type or namespace could not be
> found (CS0246)". The weird thing is, when I try to reference the same
> project in a different (empty) project, it works just fine.
>
> I'm quite new to C# and MonoDevelop, so I'm probably missing something
> fairly basic... Can someone help me out on this one? :)

I guess it compiles fine with MonoDevelop and you're trying to compile
with "make" ?

The references added in MonoDevelop are not automatically added to the
autotools build system (the one used by make). So you need to edit the
Makefile.am for you extension and modify the LINK line. Then you need
to run "./autogen.sh" again, to regenerate the makefiles.

What you need to put there depends on whether the Spotify library is
included in you extension or just an external dependency, where it is
installed, etc.
You can have a look at existing extensions to see how it's done. The
easiest way for now may well be to just use MonoDevelop to compile
your extension.

If your code is available somewhere, I'd be happy to take a look at it
and provide more specific advice (or a patch).

--
Bertrand Lorentz