Re: [Banshee-List] Problem with compilation albums

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM, osfight.de <linux osfight de> wrote:
> I followed the whole discussion, and yes, the album browsers artist
> behavior is not very intuitive, I stumbled over the same thing as Keith.
> Even if I don't care that  much, I agree that  the default behavior
> should rather behave the way Keith described it.

I disagree.  I would find it much more annoying if Banshee were to
guess what songs were part of a compilation album and got it wrong
some of the time.  I would rather it not guess at all than guess
incorrectly.

What about flagging *possible* compilation albums during import?  Have
a post-import "source" (similar in nature to the errors "source") that
displays a list of albums on the left, and shows you the songs it
thinks are in each album on the right?  It would then give you the
option of accepting or rejecting those guesses on an individual basis,
and perhaps even let you set each album's compilation artist field
quickly.

With this method, it could easily incorporate both methods of
searching for compilation albums -- proper metadata, and tracks with
the same album name but different artists.  Picky people like me get
to feel in control of what Banshee is doing with my music, and
stuff-should-just-work people would (ideally) only have to click on
"accept all guesses."

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com