[Banshee-List] proposal to adopt the GNOME release schedule

Hi everybody,

I think it would be valuable to Banshee as a project and community to
adopt GNOME's release schedule.  We would put out big releases,
intended to be picked up by various distros, on a six-month cycle.
What do you think?

I've summarized the upcoming release schedule
(http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentynine/) and included a proposal
for how Banshee could adopt it.

Date   Banshee        GNOME schedule
11-18  1.5.2 (11-20)  unstable release
12-02  1.5.3          unstable release
12-16  1.5.4          unstable release
12-23  1.5.5          unstable release
01-11                 announce string/UI changes
01-13  1.5.6          unstable release
01-18                 API freeze
01-25                 feature freeze
01-27  1.5.7          unstable release
02-08                 UI freeze
02-24  1.5.98         beta release
03-10  1.5.99         RC release
03-31  1.6.0          stable release
04-28  1.6.1          stable release
05-06  1.7.0          unstable release

I think this would really change Banshee in a great way.  Distros,
translators, and documenters will know when to expect releases (and of
what quality).

I've been itching to get 1.6 out, since we said we would try to get it
out by August.  But the biggest reason for a new big release is to get
it in front of users - and they do that by upgrading their distros, so
we might as well align our schedule with GNOME and the distros.

Gabriel