Re: [Banshee-List] [feature suggestion] library structure

2009/2/9 Christopher James Halse Rogers <chalserogers gmail com>:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 19:33 -0500, Chris Howie wrote:
>> What's wrong with a list of variable names?
>
> Looking at the list the OP posted, it'd a block of text about half the
> height of my screen.  That makes for a big, ugly configuration dialog.

If it's collapsible or if there is a summary view it would not be
quite as tall.  And I'm not sure how that would be ugly either.

>> Don't forget that making up a similar UI means that the interface
>> becomes completely mouse-driven, or at least mouse-driven to the point
>> where keyboard interaction will be at worst a PITA and at best
>> annoyingly slow.
>
> I'm not entirely sure that's a big problem.  People are likely to be
> interacting with this exactly once; discoverability >>> speed, in this
> case.

Perhaps.  I'm sure the dialog would be just as discoverable with a
different layout though.

>> If you want to cater to the non-coders then perhaps provide both.  I
>> for one would rather go edit a config file than dick around with
>> buttons.
>
> You already can, as I mentioned.  /apps/banshee-1/library/folder_pattern
> and file_pattern.  And I think Banshee certainly wants to cater for
> non-coders!

Read my statement as "if tokenized input in the interface is not
possible then I would rather edit the configuration file."  This does
not mean I want to edit the configuration file, it means it would be
preferable to clicking furiously to accomplish the same thing I can
with my keyboard.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com