Re: [Banshee-List] [feature suggestion] library structure

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 19:33 -0500, Chris Howie wrote:
> 2009/2/9 Christopher James Halse Rogers <chalserogers gmail com>:
> > Personally, I don't think exposing as you've suggested in the main
> > Banshee UI is a great idea. %foo variables in the UI either require a
> > long, unwieldy list, or are completely magical - who knows whether %z is
> > a variable, and if so, what its contents are?
>
> What's wrong with a list of variable names?

Looking at the list the OP posted, it'd a block of text about half the
height of my screen.  That makes for a big, ugly configuration dialog.

> > I think it would be useful to expose something equivalent somewhere in
> > the UI, but certainly without magical variable names.  Possibly
> > something more like the audio-profiles or smart playlist UI?  A
> > selection of the available variables which could be added to the library
> > template.
>
> Don't forget that making up a similar UI means that the interface
> becomes completely mouse-driven, or at least mouse-driven to the point
> where keyboard interaction will be at worst a PITA and at best
> annoyingly slow.
I'm not entirely sure that's a big problem.  People are likely to be
interacting with this exactly once; discoverability >>> speed, in this
case.

> If you want to cater to the non-coders then perhaps provide both.  I
> for one would rather go edit a config file than dick around with
> buttons.

You already can, as I mentioned.  /apps/banshee-1/library/folder_pattern
and file_pattern.  And I think Banshee certainly wants to cater for
non-coders!