Re: [Banshee-List] Replacement for current volume slider

Am Dienstag, den 03.02.2009, 01:00 +0800 schrieb Chow Loong Jin:
> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 17:55 +0100, Christoph Burgdorf wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 02.02.2009, 09:54 -0500 schrieb Andrew Conkling:
> > > 2009/2/2 Christoph Burgdorf <Christoph Burgdorf bvsn org>
> > >
> > >         I meant the category of the bug. But I just looked and it's
> > >         already set to enhancement. I must have overlooked that
> > >         somehow.
> > >

> > > Ah, gotcha. Good deal. :)
> > >
> > >         It would be interesting to know if a patch for that would be
> > >         accepted if it was written (and quality is fine). Am I the
> > >         only one who dislikes the current volume slider?
> > >

> > > Doubtful; I've seen the question come up from time to time for
> > > Banshee, Rhythmbox, and Totem. However, I've not seen any conclusive
> > > arguments for it one way or the other; a lot of it revolves around
> > > taste and opinion.
> >
> > Well, I think adjusting the volume is one of the common things that a
> > multimedia software should be able to handle easily. And its not only a
> > queston of taste but also of usability. To adjust the volume with the
> > current slider you will need two clicks and one dragging action while
> > you would need only one dragging action with a horizontal slider. To see
> > the current volume you need two clicks instead of zero clicks with a
> > horizontal slider.
> Ever tried scrolling while hovering over the button? I think it's cool
> like that already =)
>
> By the way, I suppose your first click is on the tray icon to get
> Banshee to appear?

To be honest, I never tried that and Im glad you mentioned it. Maybe I
will get used to it. But assuming you have no wheel on your mouse there
are actually two possible ways:

1. Click(MouseDown/MouseUp) on the volume symbol
2. Drag the slider
3. Click anywhere to make the slider disappear

Or (less clicks but not intuitive)

1. Click and hold down
2. drag the slider
3. Now release the left mouse button

The second method doesn't work with the volume control on the gnome-panel which made
it invisble to me for so long.