Re: [Banshee-List] Rock Box and iPod DAP extensions

2008/11/25 Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>:
> On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 15:48 +0000, Charles Mason wrote:
>> >
>> > Yeah, great job Charlie, it sounds like you've done a lot of good work.
>> >
>> > David, I agree that if possible we should make this a
>> > CustomMassStorageDevice subclass.
>>
>> What I was really trying to get away from was the need for the user to
>> edit any hidden files before they can sync their device. If they
>> decide they want to tweak some default setting then fair enough but it
>> shouldn't be a requirement. Rock Box now has a very slick installer so
>> it would be nice to provide a similar seemless syncing experience
>> comparable with the iPod one.
>
> Being a Rockbox user (on my Sansa e280), I'm all for seamless experience
> with it.
> For instance, I was able to get proper cover art transfered to my DAP by
> editing the .is_audio_player file, but that could easily be handled by
> having a CustomMassStorageDevice subclass. Like the AndroidDevice class.
>
> The only problem I see now is that the choice of the
> CustomMassStorageDevice subclass is based on the HAL vendor id and
> product id. Obviously, for Rockbox that's useless. We'd need to check if
> there's a .rockbox directory at the root of the device.
>
> Any ideas about the best way to handle this ?

Well checking for the .rockbox directory is a start but you still have
to think about iPods and other devices which can be used via
completely separate DAP extensions. I have developed a Rockbox
extension (the source is on the project Bugzilla) but if you use an
iPod currently the iPod extension needs to be disabled and you have no
.is_audio_player file only then does my extension get the opportunity
to check for the .rockbox directory and attempt to read the Tag Cache
DB.

I think in the long run Banshee is going to have to byte the bullet
and actually ask the user. We can build a massive DB of vendor IDs and
the logic to choose the best option for the user but its never going
to be perfect. I think long term the solution I outlined earlier in
this thread is the way to go.

Charlie