Re: [Banshee-List] Rock Box and iPod DAP extensions

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 15:48 +0000, Charles Mason wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 6:07 PM, David Spreen <netzwurm debian org> wrote:
> >> In any case, great job writing that code. What do other people think?
> >> Could we get some input from the maintainers? How would you like to
> >> integrate this into banshee?
> >
> > Yeah, great job Charlie, it sounds like you've done a lot of good work.
> >
> > David, I agree that if possible we should make this a
> > CustomMassStorageDevice subclass.
>
> What I was really trying to get away from was the need for the user to
> edit any hidden files before they can sync their device. If they
> decide they want to tweak some default setting then fair enough but it
> shouldn't be a requirement. Rock Box now has a very slick installer so
> it would be nice to provide a similar seemless syncing experience
> comparable with the iPod one.

Being a Rockbox user (on my Sansa e280), I'm all for seamless experience
with it.
For instance, I was able to get proper cover art transfered to my DAP by
editing the .is_audio_player file, but that could easily be handled by
having a CustomMassStorageDevice subclass. Like the AndroidDevice class.

The only problem I see now is that the choice of the
CustomMassStorageDevice subclass is based on the HAL vendor id and
product id. Obviously, for Rockbox that's useless. We'd need to check if
there's a .rockbox directory at the root of the device.

Any ideas about the best way to handle this ?

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>