Re: [Banshee-List] A couple of griefs with banshee.

Arafat Medini wrote:
Hi all,

Well I mean I can change a lot of stuff by hand. But then a question to you.
Would an average user be pleased by the best configuration or should he
achieve it by himself after long tweaking sessions?
Shouldn't that be also your job as developers? (I am again asking here..)

I disabled last.fm
I took a look at it. Nice but I still don't get the point.
Still I think it is a choice as many. And as such I ask, why not other
"social music sites". I don't know if they exist..
But if they do then I think there should be no preference for last.fm

I still have my gripes with banshee playing movies. Cant you make totem play
them in a small window a la itunes?

Yes I want to be able to reorder tracks manually too.
When I create a new playlist, it gets created but I cant directly rename it.

I need to right click and rename.
Its these small things that make the program slow for operations on the fly
like itunes.

What I wanted to point out by addressing the bugs in my early email and now
these points, is that the interface needs ALOT of refining till this app
becomes a tool for music management. Which it is meant to be..?

I read a little bit about Banshee in arstechnica. I got the feeling for a
developer it is a joy to reduce footprints and that stuff ( I dont know what
a memory footprint is). Or add new features AND (lets be straight on this)
duplicate them.

But for me as a music fan:

I want a TOOL to manipulate effectively my music library.

Is Banshee this tool? Why should banshee have such a bug like no support for
German for eg.? I like Japanese music, I didn't try but will it not show
Japanese at all?
This IS something important I guess even for the Japanese users.

There was a comment of Banshee trying to fill a niche.
Why cant banshee play music well in the first place? And then fill the
niche?

I downloaded Songbird two days ago. I liked that app..
The interface is not good either but this web desktop integration was novel.

I think features or fancy graphics are good, the niche is also very fine..
But lets ask again this (maybe boring) question.
I simply want to manage the music. Can banshee provide me with the necessary
tools to do that?

Banshee *is* open source. If you think it can be improved, go for it. I'm not sure what you have in mind as far as "music management" but Banshee has many tools already. If you want to add something why don't you write an extension?

Jon