Re: [Banshee-List] A couple of griefs with banshee.

2008/7/5 Arafat Medini <arafato gmail com>:
I ask, why not other "social music sites". I don't know if they exist..
But if they do then I think there should be no preference for last.fm

Last.fm is the best of these websites, so why not? Another website is certainly an option, thanks to Banshee's extension development. We'd just need someone to write the code for it (sounds like it won't be you).

Balancing a good set of default extensions is obviously a tricky business for a project, but Last.fm seems the perfect complement to Banshee, and I think many users would agree.

I still have my gripes with banshee playing movies. Cant you make totem play them in a small window a la itunes?

It's a new feature, so it may not be completely polished yet. If you can file specific bugs on bugzilla.gnome.org that would be fantastic; it's hard to know what to do about generic "gripes".

When I create a new playlist, it gets created but I cant directly rename it.
I need to right click and rename.

Can you file a bug?

Its these small things that make the program slow for operations on the fly like itunes.

Again, it's certainly not completely polished, and the 1.x series will address a lot of these issues. But also again, it's important to file bugs so the developers can easily track them.

I read a little bit about Banshee in arstechnica. I got the feeling for a developer it is a joy to reduce footprints and that stuff ( I dont know what a memory footprint is). Or add new features AND (lets be straight on this) duplicate them.

It's a joy for everyone. Suffice it so say: Banshee 1.0 performs better. It's a more versatile application. It will be easier for developers to add new features to future releases.

But for me as a music fan:
I want a TOOL to manipulate effectively my music library.

Is Banshee this tool?

For many, yes. For you, maybe not.

There was a comment of Banshee trying to fill a niche.
Why cant banshee play music well in the first place? And then fill the niche?

I think it plays music fine. It's filling a niche already, and I think that its niche has grown and will continue to grow, thanks largely to the 1.0 release you're criticizing.

I think features or fancy graphics are good, the niche is also very fine.. But lets ask again this (maybe boring) question.
I simply want to manage the music. Can banshee provide me with the necessary tools to do that?

Yes. Any other questions?