Re: [Banshee-List] HELP: Codec support question.

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 07:35 -0400, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Christopher Halse Rogers
> <chalserogers gmail com> wrote:
>         I'd suggest encoding to Wavpack or FLAC if you want lossless,
>         ogg if
>         you want lossy and don't have a portable music player, or mp3
>         if you
>         want lossless and have a portable music player that doesn't
>         play ogg.
>         I think that covers pretty much any use-case you would have.
>
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 7:10 AM, darius.regnier
> <darius regnier gmail com> wrote:
>         andrewski wrote:
>         > I'd still say to use Ogg over MP3 in that last case: doesn't
>         Banshee
>         > transcode to whatever codecs the player supports?>
>

>         Novell says it does, that's why I'm trying to figure out why
>         it doesn't.
>         I do use Ogg over MP3, but I still want to be able to encode
>         to the other
>         formats when I need to, which I do need to some times.
>
> I know. I was trying to respond to Christopher's suggestion (quoted
> correctly above now). That's what I get for trying to bottom-post on
> my PDA. ;)

It's my pseudo-audiophile side coming out :).  The thinking: if you're
going to have to encode to mp3 eventually anyway you might as well do it
first - it's got comparable quality to ogg, and you don't have to spend
the time doing another lossy re-encoding pass.