Re: [Banshee-List] Trouble playing MP3 files ripped with grip

Hi!

> How does VBR work under Grip though. Grip just uses command-line
> versions of encoders, right? I was assuming a command-line lame was
> being used, and if there was going to be an issue with VBR at all with
> lame, it was going to be in the gstreamer plugin, not in lame itself.
> Worth looking into.

Set the grip encode command line for lame to "-h --preset standard %w
%m", that's it. This does mainly "lame -h --preset standard
ripped-file.wav result.mp3".

I guess the problem with GStreamer is that it's *streaming*. The
encoder does not know how big is the file (i.e. what to write into the
VBR header), until encoding is finished. But after encoding, GStreamer
can't write to the MP3 header because it can't seek (can it?) but only
stream the result to a pipe.

My GStreamer pipe is:
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc preset=standard

Nico.