Re: [Banshee-List] Trouble playing MP3 files ripped with grip

Technically it's possible, I just didn't want to clutter the interface
with such an option. If you're a real stickler for high-quality lossy
formats, I don't see why you'd use MP3 anyway.

If you want Banshee to rip MP3s as VBR, first explore the pipeline
options that gstreamer exposes for lame:

$ gst-inspect-0.8 lame

You can edit pipeline profiles for banshee in
GConf: /apps/Banshee/EncoderProfiles

Edit that key (it's a string list, and edit the lame profile). The
profile is a | delimited list. The last field in this list (by default
is 'none') can contain arguments to pass to the encoder pipeline.

Here's the default lame profile:

lame|Lame MP3|mp3|lame|bitrate|false|none

Here's a version that [should] enable VBR (I haven't tested it):

lame|Lame MP3|mp3|lame|bitrate|false|vbr=4

Also note this only works with lame. We do not support VBR on the xing
encoder (but I doubt you have that installed anyway ;)

There are *many* options you can pass for tweaking VBR and other
settings. Given this option, I don't see how grip is any better ;) In
addition to ripping in Banshee, you'll also get cover art and automatic
library integration.

--Aaron

P.S. From the gst-inspect-0.8 lame output:

  vbr                 : Specify bitrate mode
                        Enum "GstLameVbrmode" (Current 0, "No VBR
(Constant Bitrate)")
                           (0):         No VBR (Constant Bitrate)
                           (2):         Lame's old VBR algorithm
                           (3):         VBR Average Bitrate
                           (4):         Lame's new VBR algorithm

  vbr-quality         : VBR Quality
                        Enum "GstLameQuality" (Current 5, "5 - Default")
                           (0):         0 - Best
                           (1):         1
                           (2):         2
                           (3):         3