Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee will not play MP3s

This may sound slightly obvious, but have you followed all the steps in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats ? Often this can help, as I and many others have had no problems follwing this guide.

On 8/18/06, Peter Anderson <peter anderson internode on net> wrote:
Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> I assume you mean Ubuntu 6.06.1 (Dapper Drake). There was not an
> official release of Ubuntu at 6.01. This is relevant because if you
> are using Banshee, pre-dapper the repository has an old version that
> using gstreamer 0.8 and not 0.10. Banshee and Rhythmbox (and totem)
> use gstreamer in the back to play audio files. XMMS and (I think)
> GQmpeg use something else so this would seem to indicate that the
> issue is with gstreamer since the problems intersect in its domain. Is
> it possible that you have fluendo installed for 0.8 instead of 0.10.
> If I were you, I'd double check by running a search in synaptic for
> gstreamer and see what it has to say about the wide variety of plugins
> available.
>
> I thought it was the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg plugin that played MP3s, but
> I also have fluendo-mp3 and fluendo-mpegdemux installed. I don't know
> enough to know how to check which ones Banshee is using. I do know
> that it is working on Dapper for me so there is hope. :-)
Josiah,

Thanks for the reply.  First off, it is 6.06.1 (must have been a
'seniors moment').

I have been into Synaptic just before this reply and checked; I have all
the gstreamer0.10 modules except the documentation files installed
(including the ones you mentioned).  I agree, it probably is a gstreamer
problem but I don't have the Linux experience to know how to resolve it.

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E:  peter anderson internode on net
P:  +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M:  +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
Prince/, ch. 6