Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee will not play MP3s

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
I assume you mean Ubuntu 6.06.1 (Dapper Drake). There was not an
official release of Ubuntu at 6.01. This is relevant because if you
are using Banshee, pre-dapper the repository has an old version that
using gstreamer 0.8 and not 0.10. Banshee and Rhythmbox (and totem)
use gstreamer in the back to play audio files. XMMS and (I think)
GQmpeg use something else so this would seem to indicate that the
issue is with gstreamer since the problems intersect in its domain. Is
it possible that you have fluendo installed for 0.8 instead of 0.10.
If I were you, I'd double check by running a search in synaptic for
gstreamer and see what it has to say about the wide variety of plugins
available.

I thought it was the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg plugin that played MP3s, but
I also have fluendo-mp3 and fluendo-mpegdemux installed. I don't know
enough to know how to check which ones Banshee is using. I do know
that it is working on Dapper for me so there is hope. :-)
Josiah,

Thanks for the reply. First off, it is 6.06.1 (must have been a 'seniors moment').

I have been into Synaptic just before this reply and checked; I have all the gstreamer0.10 modules except the documentation files installed (including the ones you mentioned). I agree, it probably is a gstreamer problem but I don't have the Linux experience to know how to resolve it.

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E:  peter anderson internode on net
P:  +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M:  +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The Prince/, ch. 6