[Banshee-List] Banshee will not play MP3s

Hi!

I have just installed Ubuntu 6.01.1 and am relatively new to Linux.

I am trying to get MP3 playing to work under Dapper. I started with Rhythmbox (because it was in the 'Sound and Audio' menu and that will not work. I have re-loaded gstreamer0.10 and all its components.

After several hours og Googling with little result I found a link to Banshee and thought I would try that. However I can't get it to play MP3s either. When I press play I get an error dialog that says:

*Playback Error
Could not get/set settings from/on resource.*

Your FAQ says:

*Q: My MP3 files will not play?*

*A:* This is caused by not having MP3 support in your version of gstreamer. For Ubuntu Dapper, /sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3/ should do it.

Well, I most certainly do have /*fluendo*/ installed.

I also tried XMMS Music Player and GQmpeg - BOTH these work flawlessly but without the features of RHythmbox or Banshee. So clearly my install of Dapper CAN play MP3s but not with a quality player!!!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E: peter anderson internode on net
P: +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M: +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The Prince/, ch. 6