Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee will not play MP3s

I assume you mean Ubuntu 6.06.1 (Dapper Drake). There was not an
official release of Ubuntu at 6.01. This is relevant because if you
are using Banshee, pre-dapper the repository has an old version that
using gstreamer 0.8 and not 0.10. Banshee and Rhythmbox (and totem)
use gstreamer in the back to play audio files. XMMS and (I think)
GQmpeg use something else so this would seem to indicate that the
issue is with gstreamer since the problems intersect in its domain. Is
it possible that you have fluendo installed for 0.8 instead of 0.10.
If I were you, I'd double check by running a search in synaptic for
gstreamer and see what it has to say about the wide variety of plugins
available.

I thought it was the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg plugin that played MP3s, but
I also have fluendo-mp3 and fluendo-mpegdemux installed. I don't know
enough to know how to check which ones Banshee is using. I do know
that it is working on Dapper for me so there is hope. :-)

JSR/