mailbox integrity

I recently experienced mail damage. Fetchmail's log shows a 2MB message
coming in, when I look at the mail in Balsa, only a 57K truncated attachment
(too damaged to open) shows.

I have fetchmail getting mail from my ISP, goes to sendmail, then procmail,
which puts mail in a mailbox file depending on where the mail originated.

Balsa (2.0.13 from rpm advertised on this list) reads those files as local mboxes.

I run Red Hat 9 on a dual athlon system.

Is it possible that I have locking issues where Balsa and procmail accessed
a mailbox at the same time and I ended up with lost data?

Thanks, Willem Riede.