Re: colors in mailbox-list

Am 03.08.2003 10:45 schrieb(en) Steffen Klemer:
>> what you suggest makes sense of course, but it's still totally at
>> will, unrelated to any other behaviour the user might know or
>> expect. So the problem isn't resolvable as easy.
>> I'd clearly vote to disallow collapsing threads, as that would
>> eliminate many many usability problems balsa has. One could argue
>> that with a flat index, you can't minimize the number of messages
>> anyways, so threading still has an advantage for structuring. But I
>> don't doubt many people wouldn't want to miss that feature (that's
>> what I'd expect at least), and I have to respect that.
>
> Sure, it's a bit senseless feature, but every gui mailer and
> newsreader I know support collapsings.

first question would be if you can foprbid a gtktreeview to collapse
subtrees anyways...

> How does the other programs handle such situations

I totally forgot this approach. ;)

> Mozilla Mail for example:
> You can only collaps whole threads (not all the sub-threads alone)
> and a thread containing unread msgs is underlined.
> The first msg of a thread has a special symbol which gets an arrow if
> there are unread mails. Also you can mark all mails in this thread
> with a single click on this icon.
>
> Outlook Express does it exactly the way we do:
> You can collapse each subthread individually and if it contains
> unread mails the main-msg of this thread is bold (it looks like this
> mail would be unread but you can distinguish them because of the read
> and unread-
> icons - which as an aside note I personally would like to get back in
> balsa, too.
>
> Once there was the proposal to avoid have a column for each and every
> flag and make one column for all flags. ATM you can't sort it after
> the flags either so the only problem could be screenspace - but these
> 16 pixels should be there, or?

I'd also vote for more columns, especially one separating (real)
attachments and gpg-status would be helpful. But then again, I'm on
1152 and have plenty of space, others might think differently? It would
help usability for sure.

Darko Obradovic

PGP signature