paragraphs running together

I'm running Balsa 2.0.13 and Gnome2 under Debian 'unstable' on a desktop
Pentium system.

When composing a message, the line wrapping appears to work perfectly.

But when the message is sent, the blank lines between paragraphs tend to
disappear, so that paragraphs are run together.  Also, some lines are
broken early, rather than at the specified wrapping column.

The same phenomenon is observed when a message is postponed and then
resumed; the blank lines between paragraphs tend to disappear.

Is this a common problem, or is my Debian installation pathological?

RLH