Re: colors in mailbox-list

Am 2003.08.01 16:27 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
> On 08/01/2003, Darko Obradovic wrote:
> [ snip ]
>> I have my patch nearly finished (see attachment), but there's this  one
>> issue left with it. This change of the color only is done for  messages
>> which are "read" themself, but contain unread children which  can't be
>> seen due to the tree being collapsed (read that twice if  needed *g*).
>>
>> That's at least what the code should do IMHO, but I don't have colors
>> in balsa anymore. Does it really behave that way? Does it make sense?
>>
>> Current behaviour (assuming):
>> - unread message is bold, no color
>> - read message is normally weighted, no color
>> - read message containing unread children in an expanded subtree:
>> normally weighted, no color, just like a normal unread message
>> - read message containing unread children in a collapsed subtree:
>> normally weighted, in "unread" color
>>
>> So I'm not sure how to handle that last case with only "bold/normal
>> weight" as indicator. Apart from that I doubt that the current
>> behaviour is consistent with anything. ;)
>> Could be I totally misunderstood the code, I've never seen case 4 in
>> action as I never have collapsed threads.
>>
>> Darko Obradovic
>
> That's my understanding of the current behavior. Imho marking the head
> of a collapsed (sub)thread with unread messages isn't critical--Mailbox
> => Next Unread will always find them, expanding the thread along the
> way. Using color to mark it is nice if you want colors, but if you
> don't, just let the button find them!

But as a user a want to know whether there are unread msgs in a thread or
not. Just an Idea, but what about italic-fonts (or because of
accessibility: "emphasized" ones) for collapsed trees?

It would make sense in respect to the other behaviours.

cu
/Steffen

--
  /"\
  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign    |  "The best way to predict

PGP signature