Re: colors in mailbox-list

On 08/01/2003, Darko Obradovic wrote:
[ snip ]
> I have my patch nearly finished (see attachment), but there's this
> one issue left with it. This change of the color only is done for
> messages which are "read" themself, but contain unread children which
> can't be seen due to the tree being collapsed (read that twice if
> needed *g*).
>
> That's at least what the code should do IMHO, but I don't have colors
> in balsa anymore. Does it really behave that way? Does it make sense?
>
> Current behaviour (assuming):
> - unread message is bold, no color
> - read message is normally weighted, no color
> - read message containing unread children in an expanded subtree:
> normally weighted, no color, just like a normal unread message
> - read message containing unread children in a collapsed subtree:
> normally weighted, in "unread" color
>
> So I'm not sure how to handle that last case with only "bold/normal
> weight" as indicator. Apart from that I doubt that the current
> behaviour is consistent with anything. ;)
> Could be I totally misunderstood the code, I've never seen case 4 in
> action as I never have collapsed threads.
>
> Darko Obradovic

That's my understanding of the current behavior. Imho marking the head
of a collapsed (sub)thread with unread messages isn't critical--Mailbox
=> Next Unread will always find them, expanding the thread along the
way. Using color to mark it is nice if you want colors, but if you
don't, just let the button find them!