Re: Some bugs for balsa 2.0.2

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:12:41AM +0200, Lemmit Kaplinski wrote:

(thanks :))

> So here goes:
>
> Bugs
>
> * Balsa does not open INBOX at startup although instructed so

couldn't reproduce on current cvs, don't have 2.0.2 handy (sorry)
is your inbox anyhow strange ?

> * When opening a mailbox, some message in the middle gets selected by
> default (say I have 100 messages in INBOX, then on opening INBOX,
> message 49 or 50 will get selected). It should remember previously
> selected message or select none at all

hum, current cvs doesn't do that for me. what it *should* is start pointing
to first unread message. is it ?

> * Mailbox view doesn't remember sorting criteria (From, Subject,
> Date...)

known

> * Mailbox view does not allow selecting multiple messages (for deleting
> or moving)
> * Mailbox view handles focus incorrectly. The message list never gets
> focus, so up/down keys and <enter> don't work for selecting and opening
> messages

just commited a patch from Peter fixing those 2 (horrah :))

> * In the context menu, where you can mark existing boxes as
> Inbox|Sentbox|something, Outbox is missing so I am stuck with the one I
> set up at first start (I later pointed others over to my Evolution
> maildir boxes and it has worked flawlessly)

hum, that's probably policy, can't remember why. must investigate

> * Unless the option "destroy and delete messages utterly and
> immidiately" or similar is selected, deleted messages don't get deleted
> when emtying the trash.

works for me: mark deleted, click empty trash button, worked

> * There are a lot of messages that crash balsa and not all of them are
> Asian SPAM letters. This has forced me to switch off preview pane (with

for this please do submit a bug in bugzilla. install bug-buddy and use that
if you can so we get a neat stack trace :)

> * POP timeout is too small and it is not identified as timeout. I had a
> lot of trouble until I discovered that my POP3 server was trying to
> send me back and ident request which timed out, but balsa gave up even
> earlier. The server was RH7.2 with xinetd 2.3.3 (that did the ident
> lookup), don't know about others. I disabled the ident lookup, but
> increasing POP timeout should do the trick in cases where server is out
> of your control.

i'll have to look into this.

> * Selecting Filters from the Edit menu always crashes Balsa

this was fixed on balsa-1, just applied the fix to balsa-2
as a workaround use the message context menu to move a message. after that
edit->filters won't crash

> Feature requests
> * When downloading POP messages, it would be preferable to see the
> count of messages, not the bytes downloaded

it goes "1 of n messages" -> "x bytes" -> "2 of n messages" -> "y bytes"
now. probably the it should become 2 lines

> * Is there a reason for headers being in the order that Subject is
> before CC:. It confuses me, but maybe there's a reason?

hum, no particular reason i think but truth be told it never confused
me :) it can be rationalized by 'subject is "mandatory", cc is not'.
input from more people is needed here

> I hope this is of help and as I said - if you need detailed
> information, let me know.

every bit helps! :)

With the birds I'll share this lonely view.
%